National Centre for Religious Studies
NCRS is responsible for Religious Education curricula and resources at primary and secondary school levels, and provides an early childhood curriculum.
We also produce the faith formation programme for adults, Ngā Parirau-Wings, and teacher formation programmes including “Having Life to the Full” (a Catholic course in Human Sexuality founded on Jn 10:10).
What we do
- Catholic Religious Education curricula and resources for Aotearoa
- Work at national and diocesan level
- Human sexuality education support
- Adult faith formation programmes
- Pray, share, celebrate and live our faith
A New RE Curriculum: Tō Tātou Whakapono Our Faith
The new Religious Education Curriculum for Catholic primary and secondary schools in Aotearoa has been approved by the NZ Bishops, and NCRS is working hard to develop resources to support its implementation. Due to the impact of Covid and our desire to have as much support as possible in place – including a new web-site – schools are encouraged to engage with the document in 2022/23 but there is no expectation that it be adopted until 2024. RE advisers and NCRS will be in touch along this shared journey. (As requested, here are icons for planning.) Thanks to everyone who has played a part so far.
As always, we welcome feedback.
To Tātou Whakapono Our Faith – Curriculum Document
To Tātou Whakapono Our Faith – Roll Out Timeline
Draft Learning Intentions (scaffolding AOs for teachers and rangatahi) – Learning Intentions
Tō Tātou Whakapono Our Faith Website:
As new resources are completed and proofed we are adding them to the emerging RE website for whānau and teachers. The site is very much in a ‘construction phase’ as much of the content is yet to be written. But, watch this space as it develops into THE area for RE support. (A log-in and password are required for the ‘learning packs’ because teachers have asked that they have control of the access for children in their classes. This can be gained through your diocesan RE Advisor.)
Tō Tātou Whakapono Our Faith - Background
Tō Tātou Whakapono Our Faith - Introduction
Tō Tātou Whakapono Our Faith - Junior Primary Sneak Peek
Tō Tātou Whakapono Our Faith - Junior Secondary Sneak Peek
Extra support videos:
New Generic Resources for Schools:
- A printable 2022/23 Liturgical Year Poster (N.B. A new perpetual Liturgical Year poster is available from Pleroma).
- A dynamic-PowerPoint of the above Liturgical Year Poster for teaching in class.
- Inspiration – Printable Catholic Pioneer Bookmarks for Science, Literature and Spirituality
- Inspiration – Printable Catholic Pioneer Posters for Science, Literature and Spirituality.
- Vocation – Printable Teach RE Posters – to prompt secondary students to think of becoming an RE teacher.
- Printable Hākarameta Sacrament Posters (N.B. large file to download).
BoT Prayer Companion – A Prayer Resource for Boards of Trustees
Encountering the Divine – Aotearoa NZ stories of experiencing God
Aotearoa Catholic – Our YouTube Channel
FaithCentral – provides “open” school and parish thematic resources for the old Understanding Faith secondary RE programme. (No longer maintained)
He Mea Hanga Mīharo ki tō te Atua Āhua – Wonderfully Made in God’s Image: A revised Framing Document for human sexuality education in Aotearoa Catholic schools. (Oct. 2021) A Sexuality Resource Grid Package supports planning. (Also supported by the NZCBC 2023 document on the consistent ethic of life.)
Catholic Education Professional Standards (NZCEO)
Catholic Early Childhood Religious Education – Curriculum Statement
Sharing the Gospel Today – the New Zealand Catechetical Directory