Information on the NZ Diploma in Christian Studies – Religious Education (NZDCS-RE)
This qualification provides knowledge and skills required for teaching Religious Education and for positions of leadership in Catholic Schools. Graduates will find this diploma is specifically designed for those teaching in Catholic schools who wish to work as DRS, in other senior management roles or teach NCEA Religious Education.
The NZDCS-RE is a Level 6 qualification of 120 credits consisting of 8 papers worth 15 credits each.
Most students in the NZDCS-RE are part time learners. We recommend part time learners take one or two papers per semester in order to complete the qualification within 4 years. This also ensures a reasonable workload.
Papers for this qualification are mainly offered by distance learning. Some are also offered on campus. See our Timetables page for what is on offer. Students are welcome to take some papers face to face and others by distance learning.
What are the entry requirements?
Students need to have completed a Level 5 or higher qualification in a related field to be admitted into this programme of study. However, if you have a Level 5 or higher qualification, in a different subject area, and relevant experience, you can apply for admission to this programme.
What is the structure of this programme?
There are 8 main papers that you must complete to receive this award. Below is the programme structure for this qualification.
- RE601 What makes a School Catholic – (15 Credits)
- RE602 The Religious Education Curriculum – (15 Credits)
- RE603 Issues in Catholic Education – (15 Credits)
- RE604 Leadership in Catholic Schools – (15 Credits)
- SC601 The Gospel in Aotearoa – (15 Credits)
- TH601 Sacraments Today – (15 Credits)
- TH609 He Turanga Whakaaro – (15 Credits)
- TH624 Values for Religious Education – (15 Credits)
Options (with approval from the Programme Co-ordinator)
- SC602 Bible in Religious Education can be studied instead of SC601 The Gospel in Aotearoa
- TH625 Theology for Religious Education: Special Topic OR TH620 Studies in Church History can be studied instead of TH609 He Turanga Whakaaro
For more information on individual papers go to our Course Units page.
Can I get recognition for previous academic study (Recognition of Prior Learning)?
Prior learning from an accredited institute at the same level is recognised by Te Kupenga. Please contact the programme coordinator for more details on how you can apply for this. Depending on your previous tertiary study, Te Kupenga may credit up to 40% towards a qualification. For previous study to be considered, it must have occurred no more than 10 years ago. There is an administration fee for processing an RPL application:
- RPL for an overseas qualification = $50.00
- RPL for a New Zealand qualification = $40.00
There is no charge for cross-credit or for processing pre-requisites for entry into the NZDCS.
What is the next step?
Now that you have decided upon the qualification you want to study towards, the next step is to select which papers you would like to do first. Go to our Timetable page to see which papers are coming up. Feel free to email our Catholic Theological College team for help or assistance in planning your study schedule.
If you are interested in further studies above Level 6, check or the our Degree Level qualifications.