The time to complete this qualification is dependent upon the amount of papers you choose to do per semester. Most of our students study part-time. There are two separate Certificates available.
- New Zealand Certificate in Christian Studies – Christian Ministry (NZCCS-CM)
- New Zealand Certificate in Christian Studies – Religious Education (NZCCS-RE)
Both are Level 5 awards. One certificate is worth 60 credits and the other is 80 credits.
A full-time student does all 60 credits a year (NZCCS-CM), 80 credits a year (NZCCS-RE). That is 3/4 papers per semester. All our papers for this award are the same size, 10 credits each.
- 3 papers x 10 credits = 30 credits per semester (NZCCS-CM)
- There are 2 semesters in a year = 30 + 30 = 60 credits (NZCCS-CM)
- 4 papers x 10 credits = 40 credits per semester (NZCCS-RE)
- There are 2 semesters in a year = 40 + 40 = 80 credits (NZCCS-RE)
On the average the Certificate qualification may take up to four years of part-time study. We are aware here at Te Kupenga that the majority of the students taking this qualification would be primary or secondary teachers therefore we offer assistance to those when planning out their study schedule for this particular qualification. Please contact the team at Catholic Theological College if you require any assistance.
The NZ Certificate in Christian Studies (Level 5) – Christian Ministry and the NZ Certificate in Christian Studies (Level 5) – Religious Education have been approved by NZQA and Te Kupenga is registered to teach these. These two certificate programmes have also been approved for student loans by StudyLink.
Each certificate has main papers in Theology, Scripture, and Pastoral/Youth/Prison or Hospital Ministry. Head onto each of the Certificate links for more information on each qualification.